Replace shut off valve without turning off water

Replace the shut-off valve without turning off the water. It’s frustrating to see it leaking gradually. And what is the cause? Now, mineral deposits and gravel can block the shut-off valve.

You need to replace the main valve in your house with another main valve on the road. Replacing the main shut-off valve is very easy and takes only 3 steps. 

  • Find the valve first 
  • Check the valve.
  • And finally, remove the valve and insert a new one.

Be sure to replace it promptly. Otherwise, you may lose 1 liter of water. If your primary shutoff valve is leaking, tighten it and observe if the leak stops.

If it doesn’t, we’ll have to come up with another option. If the main valve at home is leaking, the street-side valve will need to be replaced as well.

Replace shut off valve without turning off the waterreplace shut off valve without turning off water 2022

So here we are going to give you a proper guide.

Find the main shut-off valve

Finding a master stop valve is a normal issue. Most people can’t find it because it’s not in an easy-to-find place. But, firstly, find the main water stop valve in your house.

It is usually placed around the house. Here, water flows into the house first. This is where the water pipes usually start from the street and connect directly to your home.

If you cannot find the shut-off valve, please check the property inspection report. Check the plumbing section of the report. This section should include a photo of the shutoff valve and its location.

Finally, if the above technique fails, there may be another valve called a curved valve. It is placed at the beginning of the water pipe.

Look at the boundaries between your property and the street or sidewalk. Then find the trapdoor in the metal or plastic box. It is located on the ground.

Check the valve

Before you start, you must first inspect the primary shut-off valves. To begin, turn the valve knob to the left and to the right positions.

Then, while the valve is open, check to see if the water flows normally. When it’s closed, water won’t flow at all. The shutoff valve should be repaired or replaced if it is stuck or won’t close entirely. 

As previously noted, older valves are more susceptible to mineral deposits. Next, examine for any wetness around the pipe or beneath it on the floor. If you notice any indication of leakage, close the shut-off valve right away.

Only use that fixture after the leak has been fixed. It’s possible you’ll need to hire a professional plumber. He’ll help you find the source of the leak and fix it correctly.

Separate the valveremove the valve

Finally, the final step is to change the old valve. This step needs to detach the old valve. Before replacing the old bulb, you need to buy a new bulb. Ball valves are the most reliable type and should be installed.

  • Examine the “bonding jumper” of the electrical system. Attach the clamp on the house side of the meter to the clamp on the street side.  It is okay to loosen the old valve while the wire is in place. 
  • If this is not possible, do not disconnect. The surest way to solve this problem is to install a larger copper wire and two new clamps.
  • Next, remove the short bonding jumper. You can now stop the water and reinstall the valve. Close the water valve on the street side of the house.
  • Loosen the connecting nut and remove the old valve. You need to loosen the “house side” coupling of the water meter. Then remove the valve.

Cease the emissions

Instead of the old gate-style valve, get a threaded replacement ball valve. Remove the leather washer and install the new ball valve.

On the threads, you can use Teflon tape or pipe dope. Tighten the nut on the coupler. After that, turn on the water and check for leaks in the valve.


Replace the shut-off valve without turning off the water. The final words in this article are now you understand how to replace the main shut-off valve without shutting down the water supply.

We’ve provided you with a comprehensive handbook. However, if you have problems, you should get a plumber to help you.

Related Guides