How to Tee Off an Existing Gas Line. Are you planning to add a new gas line? Then you need to tee off an existing gas line before opting for remodeling the kitchen stove position.
If you don’t know how to tee your existing gas line, following the procedure given might help you out. Remember to avoid such hazardous conditions by opting for a licensed professional to do the job.
How to tee off an existing gas line
It is illegal to work on gas pipelines without having an authentic license.
- Before the process, consider the teeing off an existing gas line is legal in your country. Otherwise, a heavy fine will be paid by the accused.
- If you are uncertain regarding your expertise, hire a professional for this risky task.
Follow step-by-step the guidelines provided to check out if you can tee off an existing gas line or not.
- For teeing off an existing gas line, all you need is expertise and a set of tools. If you lack the essential tools, you can rent or borrow them for some time.
- pipe cutting wrench or metal blade reciprocating saw
- A set of plumbing wrenches
- Yellow, gas-rated Teflon tape.
- A pipe joint compound
Pipe cutters can be best suited for tightly spaced areas.
Use gas-rated Teflon tape to ensure safety.
- Take all necessary Precautions measures to avoid any mishap
- Before teeing off a pipeline, make sure the gas line is turned off.
- Wear protective safety goggles and follow safety procedures.
- Don’t worry if you observe any flames or sparks when cutting the pipe with tools.
- Obey the local codes and laws of your state, to avoid heavy fines if accused.
- If you opt to hire a professional, check their silence before handing them the task.
- Make sure the use of the right tool for the right task.
- The most important part is to add water after teeing the pipeline to check for any leaks.
Procedure for Teeing Off an Existing Gas Line
- Once you are ready, proceed stepwise following some handy instructions given below.
- Time required 2 hrs.
- Start the process by turning off the gas line through a meter or a shut valve.
- After shutting off the line, wait for the gas to fully dissipate without leaving behind any vapors in the gas pipeline.
- The time for the gas to dissipate requires 20 minutes.
- After 20 min, locate the desired line.
- Selecting the line for teeing depends upon the new line. People either tee off the line for a water heater or a gas stove to install a new line for new appliances.
- Once you are sure which line to be a cutter, take the pipe cutter and start cutting the pipeline.
- The pipe cutting wrench usually allows cutting the pipe in a 360-degree motion around the pipeline.
- A reciprocating saw can be employed as well for the job.
- Using a cutter or saw to make two cuts in the pipe. Using the reciprocating saw will quickly do the task.
- After that, remove the half-inch part of the pipeline.
- Place the triple socket tee over a 90-degree angle.
- Maintain the thickness of both existing and new pipelines.
- Apply the yellow Teflon tape to secure the tee accurately.
Here you are done teeing an existing gas line with the new one.
For Teeing off the existing pipeline, all you need is essential tools with some level of expertise in the field. The guidelines provided can help you out dealing with the risky task. Remember to check the codes and laws of your state before cutting a gas pipeline all by yourself.