How to Paint Trim Without Tape. Are you frustrated spending a couple of times using painter’s tape?
If you don’t want to use painter tape try out these methods.
These methods provide perfectly painted trim without hustling with painter tape. It not only saves time but reduces the cost as well.
How to paint trim without tape
- 150 and 220 grit sandpaper
- Wood filler
- Machine gun
Painting the Trim before Installation without Tape
In case you are going to install a new trim follow the method
- Start by placing the trim on the sawhorses.
- Take 150 grit sandpaper and sand the bare wood. Wipe it to remove any particulate present.
- Using a roller, start priming the trim.
- If the wall trim is pre-primed then, no need to sand and prime.
- Start by simply painting the trim.
- Use a roller to paint all sides of the wall trim.
- Apply the paint in two coats.
- Let it get dry.
- After that, use the chop saw and nail gun to cut and install the painted trim.
- Add wood filler to the nail holes. Let it get dry.
- Once it’s dried, take a 220 grit sandpaper and sand the trim again.
- After sanding, paint the trim with light paint.
- You have done painting the trim without any tape.
- Apply this method when you are installing new trim.
Removing and Painting the Existing Trim Without Tape
This method is employed if you’re installing new flooring with existing trim.
- In this method, first, remove all the trim from the wall.
- Each piece carefully.
- After that, number the backside of the trim and the bottom part of the wall with a sharpie.
- In this way, you will remember where to install back each piece.
- To remove the nails in the trim, try using a plier to make the job easy.
- Take the trim and place it on top of sawhorses or if no sawhorse is available, try the tables.
- Sand the trim and start painting the trim.
- Use roller paint on all sides of the trim.
- Apply two coats of paints.
- Let it get dry.
- Once it is completely dried, start reinstalling the boards with the nail gun.
- Install according to the numbers you have given to each trim piece.
- Fill the nail holes and sand the trim using 220 grit paper.
- In this way, you can paint the trim with new flooring without tape.
- Removing the trim from the wall provides an opportunity to use a roller. It makes the process easy and avoids brush strokes.
Tape Free Painting without Removing the Trim
If you are looking to paint the trim, without even removing it, this method might help you.
Grab the tools and get started.
- Take 150 grit sandpaper and sand the trim. Wipe it using a damp cloth.
- After that, place a card stock between the floor and the trim.
- Cardstock prevents the floor from getting damaged or ruined.
- In case of any hole in the trim, fill it with a wood filler. Let it get dried.
- Sand the filled parts with 220 grit sandpaper.
- Take a small paintbrush and prime the trim.
- Let it get dried.
- Paint the trim by applying two coats of paint.
- After the paint is dried, give some touch-up.
- In the end, remove the card stock.
- You have done painting the trim without using any tape.
If you want to paint the trim without tape, try the above methods. Remember to select the method according to the condition of the trim. You can either remove the trim to paint or paint it using a cardstock between the floor and trim to paint it perfectly.
How to paint edges between wall and ceiling