Snowblower Auger Not Turning. Is your snowblower auger won’t turn on as you started it after a long time? Do your snowblower parts need replacement as it is leaking gas? Or the snowblower is running rough and leaving the snow behind?
You might know that a snowblower is just like any motor or electronic device that wears out timely if proper maintenance is not done.
A snow blower is a complex device with a lot of moving components, and it is only inevitable that they’ll break down from time to time.
However, certain issues can be minimized or avoided if identified earlier, and the others might assist you to prevent more costly repairs and replacements.
So, below we are mentioning the most prevalent problem that you might face and also the suggestions on how to fix a snowblower this winter.
Snowblower Auger Not Turning (How to fix)
Here we are going to discuss the most common issues that you face and how to fix them
The auger rotors are responsible for propelling snow into the pump, which then dumps the snow into the funnel. To inspect the auger assembly, do the following.
- Start by removing the shears pin as well as the bolts that keep the assembly together and then take out the blade of the snowblower.
- Examine the blades for any wear. Any breaking, rusting, cracking, or damaged welds should be checked and If you find any damage, blades must be changed.
The auger belt is responsible for pulling the auger forward so the auger will not spin smoothly if the pulley is rusty or damaged. To check the auger belting, just do a number of things.
- Take the belt shield and loosen its belt’s tightness until it could be securely pulled out.
- Examine the belt about any cracks, abrasion, tearing, or even other indications of destruction. If any breakage is found, the belt must be updated.
A defective or chipped auger cord is amongst the most prevalent causes of either an auger stopped connecting. An auger wire cannot connect correctly if the wire is worn or cracked.
You may thoroughly check the wire for indications of straining or any other problems without trying to remove any components. As it depends on the model you are using, you might well be able to modify it if it’s only twisted.
Then if you can’t modify it, it’s better to change the cable.
Shear pins are typically meant to cut off even if you strike a stone or a heavy block of snow, saving your propulsion system against significant harm.
It’s an easy analysis to see whether the shear pin is really the problem.
To verify if a shear pin is misplaced or broken, carefully rotate the auger blade, scan the holes in which the shear pin can go.
It’s better to keep a few extra shear pins as they are cheap as it might save you to get your way clear if any broke.
The gearbox is a crucial component for transferring energy from the shaft to the auger so if you notice crunching sounds or experience the auger skipping blades, then you get a gearbox malfunction. To examine the gearbox, just do the following,
- The gearbox should be removed from the casing and opened to see the gears.
- Examine the gears carefully as if you find any kind of rusting as well as pieces that are lost or broken. If you notice anything, then the gearbox would need to be replaced.
The bearings of a snowblower enable an auger axis to revolve smoothly, so if the bearings are worn out or fail, the shafts will also not be capable of rotating easily.
To examine the bearings, search for just any visible defects or corrosion and change bearings if required.
But, it’s better first to examine your gadget and try to fix the real issue and if it’s still not working then seek help from the expert.
How can we maintain a snowblower?
Here’re a few tips to maintain your snowblower for preventing any kind of damage or corrosion.
- Timely change the oil or gas of your snowblower, and drain the oil if there’s no use for a long time.
- Change the air filter or plug whenever it’s about to wear out.
- Carefully tighten or change the parts of the snowblower if necessary.
- Oil the parts of the snowblower if needed.
We have provided you with every possible solution of snowblower auger not turning, if by following methods not working better to seek help from the technician.