My house smells like paint thinner or nail polish. The smell of nail polish or paint thinner, primarily acetone, is unpleasant and irritating.
It can be in the house for several reasons. This smell is very troublesome to a large chunk of the population, demanding a solution.
My house smells like paint thinner or nail polish
If a repaint hasn’t been done or acetone has not been in the area, other things such as an AC leak can be the reasons which need to be addressed immediately.
Causes of the Smell
The smell of Acetone can be caused by various reasons, as mentioned formerly. A Few are:
- Repainting the house/area
- Spilling nail polish remover
- A gas leak
- Refrigerant Leak
Some of these causes are extremely dangerous and should be handled with caution. They can, in some cases, even cause an explosion.
Ways To Get Rid of The Smell
There are several ways to get rid of acetone odor; a few of these are:
- Water: Some of the most common solutions are often proven to work the best. Water can sometimes neutralize the rancid smell of acetone. Simply put a few bowls filled with water in the room to clean the smell and leave it overnight. By morning, the water will absorb some of the chemicals, leaving the room smelling better.
- Cleaning carpets: Refreshing the carpets might help because chemicals and oils absorb in carpets and clothes quickly, hence retaining the odor. The carpets can be scrubbed with plain water or a mixture of baking soda, as mentioned later in detail.
- White vinegar: Just as with the water, put the vinegar in bowls and place them in the room or area with the smell. In a few hours, the acids in the vinegar will do their work and soak up all of the annoying smell.
- Charcoal: Another way is to fill bowls with charcoal and repeat the same steps as water or vinegar. Charcoal is excellent for removing toxins and is known to be effective for this purpose.
- Baking soda: Another natural remedy for the acetone smell is baking soda. It is cheap and effective. Sprinkle baking soda around the house, and the smell will be absorbed.
- Ventilation: Another simple yet effective method is allowing air to circulate in the area with the noticeable odor of paint and letting the particles flow out of the area.
- Rubbing alcohol: This is another method of removing the putrid smell from your house. Use a Rag and scrub areas with rubbing alcohol and successfully remove the scent from the area.
Dangers Caused By the Aroma Of Acetone
If not removed timely, the smell of paint thinner or acetone can cause physical harm. It can cause:
- Irritate the Eyes, Nose, and Throat
Even higher and longer exposure periods can cause lung inflammation. If it comes in contact with skin, it can cause a burning rash or irritation.
There are various causes for the acetone scent, some dangerous, some irritating. The solutions to all are mentioned in the above article.