How to use wood chips on a gas grill. So here are some methods for using wood chips on a gas grill to flavor your food with a smoky taste. Some health-conscious folk may not favor the charcoal grill because of hazardous chemicals in charcoal. While some people are fond of the smoky taste, that is not possible just by using a gas grill.
How to use wood chips on a gas grill
Wood chips might help you with the smoky flavored taste when used on a gas grill.
Identify the correct wood chip
- Different types of wood chips are available in the market with a variety in the flavors they impart. Each of them imparts its unique good t to the food.
- Knowing the correct type of chip for the right food is necessary.
- Some of the top brands are Mesquite, Apple, Hickory, and even Jack Daniels.
- Wood chips like Mesquite, Hickory are a good choice for beef.
- Applewood chip imparts a sweet taste to smoke the fish and vegetables.
- Pork and chicken taste good with maple, peach, cherry, pecan, or apple.
- Pair fish with cedar or might use alder. Occasionally some like cherry or pecan for fish as well.
- The best part is if you can’t decide what chip you need, go for the hickory. A balanced wood chip imparts a smoky flavor to all foods. Hickory tends to be the universal wood chip.
Soak the Wood Chips in the Water
- After selecting your desired wood chip, soak it for at least 30 min in water. Time can be variable from 45 to an hour, depending on you.
- What if you don’t soak it?
- Remember not to add chips to the grill without soaking them.
- They catch up a fire and lead to an emergency fire condition.
- Soaking will allow the chip in the grill to impart a smoky flavor.
Such types of cautions must be kept in mind.
Otherwise will lead to hazardous conditions.
- Some people don’t urge to soak the chips.
- Place a water pan in the grill.
- That results in a humid environment for certain foods
Use of Aluminum Tray
- After soaking the wood chips, take an aluminum tray and add the wood chips to it.
- If you don’t own a tray, use an aluminum foil or a wood box for the soaked chips.
- After placing wood chips in multiple-layer aluminum foil, make holes so that the smoke gradually contacts the food while grilling.
Preheating of grill containing wood chips
- Now when you are ready just before, preheat the grill.
- Place the tray with the wood chips into the grill.
- Allow the grill containing chips preheated for 5- 10 min.
- After a couple of minutes, you will notice smoke to appear, the time when the meat is ready to be grilled.
- Slow down the heat to avoid burnt texture and place the beef or meat into the grill.
- Grill according to your preferences of herbs and spices etc.
- A smoker box is not necessary to use an aluminum tray, or foil can do the job.
- Some people might like to view all the processes from releasing of smoke to the ending finish up.
- So for such people, a smoker box is a good option.
- A smoker box is something an everyday grill user should purchase.
Now that your smoky grill is ready, you can grill a variety of foods just by keeping in mind the whole procedure in 5 simple steps.
- Selection of wood chip
- Placing in the aluminum tray or foil