How to measure stairs for carpet? This is perhaps a bit more complicated, but it follows the same principle as measuring a room! There are individual parts, a landing, a corridor, and the stair part, which can be a combination of straight stairs and spiral staircases.
The important thing is to measure each ladder separately. You can watch our handy video on how to measure a hall, stairs, and landing quote here.
The same basic rules apply when you’re going to measure carpet for stairs:
How to measure stairs for carpet
Just record the actual measurements in your plan. Do not add any extra margin or cm.
Remember to measure to the entrance and measure the width of the doors and record each measurement on your plan.
Remember to measure the setbacks, fireplace niches.
Your plan will end with a landing sketch, individual stair measurements, and a hallway sketch.
- Start with the landing, go down the stairs, and then finish with the hallway.
- Prepare/sketch a rough plan or layout that includes niches or setbacks in your landing and follow the ‘how to measure a room’ guide, add as many measurements as possible, and remember to measure to the doors and the width of the door and record the measurements on your drawing.
The landing plan will need to include the upper ladder and this is how it is done.
Practical tip: the part of the ladder where you place your foot is called the “tread”. The vertical part is called the “riser”.
- Take a measurement from the entrance or the wall opposite the top step and bring the tape measure to the end of the top step and go up the step. It is important to do this to some degree, as the carpet must go up the top ladder in one piece without a seam, and then all the ladders will run in the same direction.
- Mark the position of your stairs on your plan with an arrow.
You are then ready to measure the rest of the ladder
- Measure from the back of the top riser over the nose of the step and then to the back of the next step. Record that measurement in your plan.
- Then measure the width of the ladder remembering to record only the actual measurements. Do not add any allowances.
- If you have a middle landing, measure the width of the middle landing (see orange line).
- Then measure the length of the half landing, including the drop over the step and toward the back of the next step.
Finally, thank you for taking the time to measure your room! Simply contact us by visiting a store or calling our Amazon order and we’ll give you a free quote in no time. Also, if you order, we’ll be happy to stop by and do a full measurement regarding” How to Measure Carpet Stairs” & also do check to make sure all measurements are accurate and it’s a free service.
How to measure stairs for carpet?